Pages

Saturday, May 23, 2020

No bake cheesecake using agar



A few weeks ago I try to make a mango no bake cheesecake using gelatin ( as instructed by the recipe), and dear me, it turned out to be a flop. The gelatin doesn't hold the cake, it blubbered out from the pan.  I tried to eat most of it, but cheesecake is not something you can enjoy too much of- the cream, the cheese. You'll go tired of it in no time. Not to mention as I was preparing the gelatin for the cake, the smell of it when exiting the microwave oven was  such a kill-off.
Being me, I wish to achieve some sort of a- yes! moment, so yesterday I tried the recipe using agar (a jellylike substance, obtained from red algae- wikipedia). As at the time I don't know there people who has already use this, I trialed adjusting the recipe I got from here and here.
While writing this I found out that there are actually those who have managed to achieve making cheesecake using agar. You can look the recipe here. Well, back to my adventure...


Ingredients:

Crust:
A- 1/2 pack of digestive biscuit
B- 1/4 cup of cornflake
C- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
D- 65g of butter

Cheesecake filling:
A- 1/3 pack of agar (+-9g)
B- 1/4 cup of water
C- 250g cream cheese (room temperature)
D- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (shifted)
E- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
F- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
G- Zest of half a lemon (optional)
H- 1 cup of cream

I- A jar of blackberry/strawberry/raspberry jelly or jam (optional)

Methods:
1- Crush the biscuit and cornflake.
2- Melt the butter.
3- Mix thoroughly the crushed biscuit/cornflake, butter and sugar.
4- Press the mixture in a springform pan about 7x7 inch and put in the fridge for at least an hour to firm.
 5- Soak the agar into a bowl of water for about 10 minutes.
6-  Beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy.
7- Add the flavouring: Vanilla and lemon, and continue beating
8- Strain the water out of the agar. Put the agar into the 1/4 cup of water and heat in low with a microwave oven. Stir for every 5 minutes until all is smooth and melted.
9- Add the cream into the cheese filling and continue beating. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.
10- Slowly drizzle the agar into the cheese filling while the beating the fillings.
11- Quickly pour the filling into the springform pan and smooth it.
12- Melt the jelly in the microwave over low and sieve if there is seeds in them.
13- Pour on top the cheesecake and let everything set in the fridge for at least 4 hours.

These are the ingredients I think should be use instead; (I think I've used a little bit more agar than I should- I used maybe 12g, but when eating it, the texture seems spot on)

Here is the picture of my failed no bake mango cheesecake:


How it tells you should never judge from looks..

No comments:

Post a Comment