Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Dampfnudeln (German dumpling)

    






    Locked at home (a metaphor), I opt to re-watch The Great British Bake Off series. During season 4 the bread episode, I was re-exposed to dampfnudeln. What a dampfnudeln you ask? According to wikipedia; dampfnudel is a sort of white bread roll or sweet roll eaten as a meal or as a dessert in GermanyAustria and in France. It looked to me as some sort of a bao, but without the need for me to bring out the steamer out. THAT intrigue me. The recipe that was shown in TGBBO was sweet, but as far as I know, bao is usually eaten savory, so I figure I can do that to dampfnudel too, and when I googled, it was written you can do that. So I searched about dampfnudel, don't be side-tracked, I only looked to 3-4 recipe pages.  I opt to use this recipe as reference. 

Knowing myself (I am not a good kneader); I didn't give the yeast time to bloom first before starting to knead nor do I start with a warm milk, rather I used milk in room temperature. 

    But lo and behold! I have underestimated the recipe. The pan that I used was a bit too small, thus even though the dumpling seems cooked, the dumpling was smooshed. So after the 20 that-I-was-not-supposed to open the pan, I transfer the dumpling to another bigger pan and proceed to steam it again, but maybe because the pan is a too-good-of-a heat conductor, even with the smallest heat setting on the stove, burning smell can be detected.. I turn off the stove and enjoy a somewhat smoky dumpling with chicken curry. Hehehe. 

    Im planning to try the recipe again, but to be steamed in two batches...or maybe half the dough..?


Ingredients:

Dough:
3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup of sugar
1 1/2 packet of yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs

Poaching liquid:
1 cup milk
3 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup sugar (less or none if you are planning to enjoy the dumpling savory)
1 teaspoon salt (if you enjoying savory)


Method:
Knead the dough until the dough stick to itself better then it sticks to your hands.
Put in a big bowl, cover and left to rise for about 1 hour. 
When it has double in size, knead a bit more, the divide the dough to fist sized balls. 
Put the balls in a large frying pan and cover. Let rise for about 15-20 minutes.
Warm the poaching liquid before adding to the proved dough. 
Cover and steamed on a small heat for about 15-20 minutes. Don't open the cover or you risk the dumpling to shrink. 
Enjoy with jam and custard if you like it sweet, or you can also enjoy it with curry like I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment