Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2021

Naan - plain.. cheese.. garlic

    


   For a while now I am back in Shah Alam in the plan to help my post-natal sister. A few times in every week, she will request her husband to search for her naan. And as luck have it, her favorite restaurant stop producing naan due to the MCO. So her husband need to be creative in searching other restaurant that still serve the bread. So one morning when the young mother has been complaining that she is hungry and there is no breakfast prepared and there seems nothing is available to prepare, I decided to search for a simple naan recipe. I decided to follow the recipe from this webpage. And it yielded somewhat unexpectedly good naan.

Here is the recipe:


Ingredients:

3 cups of APF

1 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp yeast

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 1/4 cups of water

3 tbsp oil 


Method:

I used wet-mix-to-dry method. In one bowl I put together the dry ingredients, ensuring that yeast didn't touch with salt. In another container, I put together the wet ingredients. I decided to use cold water so the yeast has more time to rise as I usually took a long time to knead the bread. But this method only applicable if you are sure 100% that your yeast is alive. 

I used a mixing machine, as my hand was somewhat injured, but you could always use your strong pair of hands. Knead until the dough tend to stick upon it-self rather than to your hands. Cover and let to rest for about 30 minutes or until double in size.

Punch the dough, knead for a little bit more to ensure trough distribution. Divide the dough to six small ball. 

Flatten the ball, fill in with cheese (if you want to make a cheese naan) or with grated garlic (if you want to make a garlic naan), close into a new ball and flatten the ball again and cook on a non-stick pan and covered on the smallest heat. If you want a plain naan, you could always skip the filling step. In about 4-5 minutes, flip the naan to cook the other surface. Cook until the surface of the naan have golden spots and a little charred.   

Enjoy with curry, or mint sauce, or tandoori chicken or even on its own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment